2 large Zucchinis
Celtic salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2-1 Tb. Garlic Powder
1/2-1 Tb. Onion Powder
1 lb. ground beed ( 80/20)
1 small diced green bell pepper
1 diced yellow onion
1 cup tomato paste
1 can (16oz) tomato sauce
1/4 cup red or white wine ( I had white wine opened and used that)
2 Tb. chopped fresh basil ( if you have dried only that works too, just use slightly less)
1 Tb. chopped fresh oregano ( if you have dried only that works too, just use less)
1 (15oz) container of low fat ricotta cheese
1 (16oz) packaged frozen chopped spinach. thawed and drained
1 lb. sliced white mushrooms
8 oz. shredded mozzarella
8 oz. grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. I use a vegetable peeler. Sprinkle slices with salt and set aside to drain in a colander.
3. To prepare the meat sauce, heat up pan to medium heat and add ground beef. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes. Add salt and pepper for seasoning. Add in green bell pepper and onion and stir in with meat. Add salt and pepper along with a sprinkle of garlic powder and onion powder. Add mushrooms. Once meat is no longer pink add tomato paste and tomato sauce along with wine, oregano, basil. I like to add more seasoning at this point. Use your best judgement. Always taste test as you go along. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer sauce for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. In a mixing bowl stir egg and ricotta with a pinch of salt. Make sure these are mixed well.
5. The zucchini produces a ton of moisture so I like to lay out a towel and lay flat the zucchini slices. I then pat dry with a paper towel.
6. Thaw and drain your spinach. I like to use a paper towel to remove extra liquid
To assemble lasagna:
7. Spread 1/2 of the meat sauce onto the bottom of the pan, then create a layer with the zucchini slices. Next add 1/2 the ricotta mixture, then layer with the spinach, followed by a layer of 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. Sprinkle the top with an even layer of parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.
8. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; raise temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 15 more minutes. Let stand for 10-20 minutes before serving.